Monday, April 23, 2012

Post 8


Reading “The Future of Literacy” has confirmed for me a few trends in technology that I have seen increasingly in schools recently.  For me personally, in school technology always outweighed my computer usage at home.  My family only recently upgraded to high speed internet from dial up so I didn’t have much access to the internet unless I was at a friend’s house or at school.  However, my elementary school involved us heavily in technology from kindergarten.  I remember learning to type as before I learned how to write in cursive.  In fact, my school system taught typing throughout elementary, middle and high school as a required class.  In addition to general computer information, in elementary school, we were also taught computer literacy through programming a type of robot that required coding.  While I feel that I learned most of my technical literacy at school, I believe that the most important factor that contributed to my visual literacy was the environment at home.  My parents stressed reading at a very young age.  I read every day with my parents until I was able to read on my own.  My parents also expanded my visual literacy by including it outside of our home as well.  On vacations when I was younger we would generally go to the beach or an amusement park, but no matter where we went there would be a trip to a museum or historical landmark at some point.  I consider myself very lucky to have had the advantage of learning literacy both at school and at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment